[LMB] Chinese soletta?

Joel Polowin jpolowin at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 19 16:49:25 BST 2018

Raymond Collins <rcrcoll6 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I've encountered several reports about a proposed space mirror that
>> would light up the Chinese city of Chengdu at night, replacing/reducing
>> their need for ground-level lighting.  Details vary by source.
>>
>> https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-10-18/chinese-city-plans-to-launch-artificial-moon-by-2020/10392862
>> https://www.livescience.com/63863-china-artificial-moon.html
>>
>> I'm a bit skeptical of the feasibility.  I don't see how a satellite
>> in a rather low orbit would effectively reflect sunlight to light up
>> a ground-level area at night.

> The only  way to keep the satellite over Chengdo is geosynchronous orbit
> (about 25k up there) which brings the satellite well South.

Of course. But the articles I've seen which describe the orbit put it
much lower than geosync.  That includes the first of the two above,
which says 500 km, vs. geosync's 35,786 km (22,236 mi).

Even if the satellite is in a geosync orbit, it wouldn't be literally
over Chengdo most of the time.  They'd need to be continually adjusting
the attitude of the mirror.

Joel