[LMB] Chinese soletta?

Baur baur at chello.at
Sat Oct 20 07:07:41 BST 2018

and it will be in that orbit for about two weeks ..

a space mirrir needs to be HUGE .. and it needs to be  very light weight
(it will probably be made out of a few struts and huge acreage of
silvered mylar foil)

there is still a little bit of residual atmosphere at 310 miles ... not
much, but teeny, tiny bit ..

now we place a VERY large, very light weight object at high speed into
that rarefied atmosphere

what will happen?

it will slow down

thats why the ISS needs a reboost once in a while .. the huge solar
wings and the heat radiators make quite a bit of air resistance, and
comared to a space mirror the ISS is compact and heavy .. so it slows
down much more gradually

than you have a secondary effect.. remember that description of the
space mirror i gave (it will probably be made out of a few struts and
huge acreage of silvered mylar foil)  .. what does it remind you?

right on the first try - a solar sail ship .. (aka sunjammer) .. it will
not only have to deal with the aerodynmaic effects, it will also have to
deal with the push the solar light is giving it ..

and that gets complicated very quickly .. especially in a low, fast
orbit - especially when you are also trying to keep that reflected spot
of sunlight on target

servus

markus

--