[LMB] Chinese soletta?

Baur baur at chello.at
Sat Oct 20 18:40:49 BST 2018

Am 20.10.2018 um 19:14 schrieb Karen Hunt:

>>> <SNIP Long description of the physics>
>>>
>>> Methinks the laws of physics are different in Miles's Universe.
>>
>> the solettas of Komarr are not in a low orbit .. and they do not try to
>> illuminate local points on the surface .. they try to increase sunlight
>> over the entire sunside hemisphere
>>
>> this means they are pretty far out - GEO equivalent or one of L points,
>> iirc (dont have the book with me right now, could anyone please check?)
>> - so neither atmosphere nor fast slewing speeds are a problem anymore
>>

> Best I can give you is this from Komarr, chapter 12:
>
> It took several minutes to establish the secure link with Lord Auditor
> Vorthys aboard the probable-cause team's mothership, now docked at the
> soletta array. Miles settled himself as comfortably as his aching muscles
> would allow, and prepared to cultivate patience in the face of the
> irritating several-second time lag between every exchange.

that gives me something to work with .. (and it fits my mental pinstrue
of the situation that i had when i was reading the book)

ok - putting on my space nerd helmet ... the one with the popeller on top

its 300.000 km (almost one erth moon orbit distancve) per second

several seconds implies a distance up to an order of a million km (three
light seconds .. but the several seconds could be there and back again
total signal lag, not one way signal lag - to earths moon signal lag is
1-3 seconds one way, 2.6 seconds both ways)

this in turn implies that komarr has a sizeable moon (or co-planet or
that komarr is a moon of a gas giant, but iirc there no mention of a
huge gas giant dominating komarr's sky - so we stay with sizeable moon
... occam's razor) and the solettas are around one of the L points

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lagrangian_point

most likely the kommar-moon L3 or L4 points, L1 or L3 are a more distant
possiblility

(btw - ignore the

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a5/Lagrange_points_simple.svg/450px-Lagrange_points_simple.svg.png

in the article - that would be a description of the sun-komarr libration
system)

it cannot be a libration point of the sun-kommarr system, as the
distances involved in there would create signal lags of several minutes
minimum due to the distances

is there canon mention of komarr's moon .. ?

servus

markus

> Karen Hunt

Email from my mobile connection.