[LMB] Fwd: Re: Chinese soletta?

Baur baur at chello.at
Sat Oct 20 19:28:15 BST 2018

Am 20.10.2018 um 20:17 schrieb Karen Hunt:
> On Sat, Oct 20, 2018 at 2:12 PM Baur <baur at chello.at
> <mailto:baur at chello.at>> wrote:
>
>     Am 20.10.2018 um 20:04 schrieb Karen Hunt:
>      > On Sat, Oct 20, 2018 at 1:41 PM Baur <baur at chello.at
>     <mailto:baur at chello.at>
>      > <mailto:baur at chello.at <mailto:baur at chello.at>>> wrote:
>      >
>      >     Am 20.10.2018 um 19:14 schrieb Karen Hunt:
>      >      > On Sat, Oct 20, 2018 at 12:19 PM Baur <baur at chello.at
>     <mailto:baur at chello.at>
>      >     <mailto:baur at chello.at <mailto:baur at chello.at>>> wrote:
>
>     snippitites est
>
>      > None that I know of - I scanned both Captain Vorpatril's Alliance
>     and
>      > Komarr looking for moon, sky, and tide. There's mention of the
>     sky being
>      > dark without light from the soletta, and of soletta following sun in
>      > setting (that seems to be a general theme about it - that it
>     follows the
>      > sun), and of the soletta being unstable after the collision due
>     to solar
>      > wind. A 19-hour day encourages belief in a moon, but I'd guess
>     we're not
>      > forced to believe it.
>      >
>      > A local lake has ripples, but there aren't large bodies of liquid
>     water,
>      > so it's no surprise I can't find hints of tides, either.
>      >
>      > So all I can give now is: any moon doesn't stand out in the sky
>     or isn't
>      > in the sky when people are looking up, and the soletta seems to
>     follow
>      > the sun through the sky.
>
>     not mention of presence is not proof of absence ..
>
>     but the celestial mechanics would argue VERY strongly for the existence
>     of a moon ..
>

> I'm inclined to believe there's a reasonably chunky moon that's rather
> far out (to reduce its brightness - I suppose it could also be made of
> dark material).
>
> Can that work?

yep - that could work ..

the moon could also be of high density ..

our moon has a density of 3.344 (about 2/3 of earths density) - density
could be higher if its mostly made from nickel iron (which has a density
of 7.9) .. that would make it much smaller and a lot less conspicious

servus

markus

--
Email from my mobile connection.