[LMB] Uterine replicators in _Shards of Honor_

alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca
Tue Oct 30 17:05:53 GMT 2018

On Tue, 30 Oct 2018, WalterStuartBushell wrote:
>> On Oct 30, 2018, at 10:18 AM, Damien Sullivan <phoenix at mindstalk.net> wrote:
>>

>> As Cordelia noted, Mark was kind of raised to imitate Miles.  And Mark's
>> a lot less about forward momentum; he could be happy in a room being an
>> ImpSec analyst.
>
> You have textev for that assertion?

Mark says this to (I think) Cordelia in Mirror Dance or possibly Memory.

> Besides Mark was raised as an imitation, Miles had more freedom to
> choose life course. I think Mark would want to be in command, the
> closest he comes to being an employee we see is when he takes the ship
> and crew from Cordelia to raid the Whole.

I think it's not so much that Mark wants to command as that he doesn't
want to be commanded. Memories of Ser Galen there.

Alayne

--
Alayne McGregor
alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca

"I am not avoiding reality when I read fiction; I am strengthening my ability to cope with reality."
- Roxane Gay, in her introduction to The Best American Short Stories, 2018