[LMB] [PSA] Spring has Sprung

A. Marina Fournier saffronrose at me.com
Sat Jun 1 05:00:57 BST 2019

> On May 31, 2019, at 5:09 PM, Marc Wilson <marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 17 May 2019 22:25:12 +0200, Mieke <mvanspanje at home.nl> wrote:
>>
>> In the Netherlands it would be unthinkable n o t  to look for bikers, or any other traffic,  if you open your car door.
>> Mieke
> https://www.forbes.com/sites/carltonreid/2018/10/17/dutch-reach-car-door-opening-technique-added-to-britains-road-rules/

I don’t recall whether my college roommate (mid-’70’s) was referring to bicyclists in France, Holland, somewhere in between, or all of the above, but she said that bicyclists there, wearing heavy wooden clogs (I was wearing backless Swedish ones at the time. Still do), would kick out at cars with clueless drivers, to express their disapproval.

Before I began to drive, I rode a bicycle everywhere. I got idiots coming from behind honking their horns for the “fun” of my reaction. Grrrr.

I think it’s because of that that I may not do the complete Dutch twist, but I look for oncoming vehicles and pedestrians and cautiously exit the car. I don’t want to get hit, but I don’t want to hit anyone or anything. You see, the police ask such embarrassing questions!

I looked for traffic coming up on the passenger side, bikes, cars, and folks, especially turning (USA) right.

Sylvia, I am sorry for the loss to you and others, from this person’s death.

I’ve no car currently, but I still check for oncoming as I exit a car, curbside or not.

A. Marina Fournier
Valley of Heart’s Delight, CA
saffronrose at me.com
sent from iFionnghuala