[LMB] List biz: Another Phishing attack

WILLIAM A WENRICH wawenri at msn.com
Sat Jun 1 14:07:33 BST 2019

I’vE just been hit by another set of phishing attacks. Previously they were mostly notices of a large purchase with a link to a site to report an issue. (That’s the one that caused me weeks of frustration changing my credit card number.)
The current set has more intelligence (in the military sense) behind it. The first showed up as a missed call recorded message. I had just returned from a short trip and often the credit car company will check to see if the non-local purchases are legitimate. If they aren’t, they lock the card. It included a call back number. When I checked with my credit union I found they had no records of my card being locked. The recorded message had my correct name, credit union, and type of card.
The second was an email, purportedly from Apple Pay, saying my account was locked. When I checked (do a direct reply and if the message isn’t from apple.com, it’s phony.), it wasn’t legitimate. I immediately forwarded it to reportphishing at apple.com.
I wish I knew if there was any action I could take against these crooks. Although it hasn’t cost me anything but time, I don’t think they are doing this for laughs. They must be stealing from enough people to make it worthwhile. I have never heard of any of them being caught and prosecuted.

William A Wenrich