[LMB] [PSA] Spring has Sprung

Marc Wilson marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk
Sun Jun 2 17:10:31 BST 2019

On Fri, 31 May 2019 21:00:57 -0700, "A. Marina Fournier"
<saffronrose at me.com> wrote:

>I don’t recall whether my college roommate (mid-’70’s) was referring to bicyclists in France, Holland, somewhere in between, or all of the above, but she said that bicyclists there, wearing heavy wooden clogs (I was wearing backless Swedish ones at the time. Still do), would kick out at cars with clueless drivers, to express their
disapproval.

Sounds like the Netherlands.  Dutch cyclists are fearless, because in
essence if you as a driver hit a cyclist, it's your fault.

Do it a second time, and you're basically uninsurable.

I remember seeing a young lady riding along Leidsestraat with a 6'
fibreglass flamingo under one arm, and a baguette under the other.
--
Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our
political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means