[LMB] OT: Does the cat know?

Marc Wilson marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk
Sun Jun 2 17:14:59 BST 2019

On Fri, 31 May 2019 20:35:50 -0700, "A. Marina Fournier"
<saffronrose at me.com> wrote:

>On May 31, 2019, at 5:05 PM, Marc Wilson <marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, 28 May 2019 16:22:15 -0400, Matthew George <matt.msg at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> The point isn't that the cat is both alive and dead.  The point is that,
>>> until you have some data that permits you to distinguish one state from the
>>> other, they're indistinguishable.  When the point is put so simply, it
>>> becomes obvious.
>>
>> The Gedankenexperiment posits that the cat is in a superposition of
>> states, both alive and dead, until an observation is made which
>> collapses the wavefunction.  In practice, the cat is an observer (and
>> not a disinterested one!).
>
>Thought/thinking-experiment?

Just so - a term of art that's been absorbed into the English-speaking
science world (perhaps due to Einstein).
--
Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our
political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means