[LMB] OT: Does the cat know?

A. Marina Fournier saffronrose at me.com
Sun Jun 2 22:07:13 BST 2019

On Jun 2, 2019, at 9:14 AM, Marc Wilson <marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk> wrote:

> On Fri, 31 May 2019 20:35:50 -0700, "A. Marina Fournier"
> <saffronrose at me.com> wrote:
>
>>> On May 31, 2019, at 5:05 PM, Marc Wilson <marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk> wrote:
>>>
>>> On Tue, 28 May 2019 16:22:15 -0400, Matthew George <matt.msg at gmail.com>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> The Gedankenexperiment posits that the cat is in a superposition of
>>> states, both alive and dead, until an observation is made which
>>> collapses the wavefunction.  In practice, the cat is an observer (and
>>> not a disinterested one!).
>>
>> Thought/thinking-experiment?
>
> Just so - a term of art that's been absorbed into the English-speaking
> science world (perhaps due to Einstein).

The reason I know gedanken means thought or thinking is from the German song, Die Gedanken sint Frei, which I could sing (remembering the words in a language I didn’t speak) in my youth. I heard it in the TV movie, “The Birdmen”. Must have been Doug McClure that got my attention, but a slightly twisted comedy, set in the same timeframe, “Hogan’s Heroes” had just finished its run a few moths earlier. Its cast featured several Jewish actors, including one who had survived a concentration camp. There was even a black actor playing a Sergeant—advanced for the time, as he wasn’t in a menial role.

A. Marina Fournier
Valley of Heart’s Delight, CA
saffronrose at me.com
sent from iFionnghuala