[LMB] Betan population control

Joel Polowin jpolowin at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 7 01:11:19 BST 2019

Matthew George <matt.msg at gmail.com> wrote:
> Of course, the Betans (and future humans generally) have more advanced
> sciences than the strictly medical.  There have been real-world attempts to
> block male fertility by injecting substances into the vas which solidify
> and form a blockage, but break up harmlessly when exposed to the proper
> enzyme.  That would be fairly easy to carry out and reverse.

Some years back, now, there was a science item on the CBC radio news:
some researchers had discovered that "trihdroxypropane" could cause
temporary sterility in male rats.  The reporter eventually got
to mentioning that it had to be injected directly into the rats'
testicles.  They *did* say that the rats didn't seem to mind, which
I find somewhat implausible.

What they *didn't* mention is that "trihydroxypropane" is glycerine.

I speculate that they didn't want people to try to work out male
contraception for themselves.  For reasons ranging from "yeah, I put
on some glycerine, so we're safe" to "okay, let's try injecting stuff
into those testicles".

The report was probably connected to:
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0010782484800098

Joel