[LMB] Betan population control

Howard Brazee howard at brazee.net
Sat Jun 8 20:58:45 BST 2019

> On Jun 8, 2019, at 12:38 PM, Joel Polowin <jpolowin at hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> The validity of that argument depends very much on the truth of the
> premise "you *can* change these things".  It is often not true at
> all... or at least the person making that argument doesn't grasp that it
> may be extremely difficult / expensive / otherwise beyond the ability
> of the other person to accomplish.  It may be technically feasible,
> but effectively impossible in practise.

We often discount the personality and/or psychological characteristics that make someone unable to change things.    We recognize extremes, as when someone’s problems get diagnosed with a label.  But way too often, when someone’s disability is not extreme, we just call it weakness (but not weak enough to not put them down).

When someone’s IQ is 71 and when his IQ is 69 is not significant—except for public opinion which condemns the first as being stupid, and feeling sorry for the 2nd for being retarded.

When someone doesn’t quite have the “gumption” we have, we condemn their weakness.   Or their willingness to work, or to be nice.

But any program to make society better needs to recognize that we have wide spectra of abilities and results.