[LMB] Betan population control

Eric Oppen ravenclaweric at gmail.com
Sun Jun 9 03:33:03 BST 2019

People in metro areas also routinely underestimate how difficult it can be
to leave depressed rural areas.  I wanted very much to relocate, but I
didn't have the money, didn't know where to go, didn't know what to apply
for, and after a few years, found that I had "Damaged Goods" permanently
stamped on my forehead like the mark of Cain.

People say "Pound the pavement and you'll get a job!"  The problem is, jobs
are very tight around here---and after a hundred or so failed attempts, I
think even Pollyanna would be discouraged (and I have never been mistaken
for her.)   And people will not tell me what is wrong!  If I knew what was
wrong, I could at least try to change it, but all I get is "we found
someone we liked better."  I'm hard-working, diligent, on time every day if
at all possible, don't goof off, don't steal, don't backtalk my
employers...and I can't get a job to save my life!

People say "Well, I'd like to hire you but you're over-qualified."  Look,
geniuses, I know my own qualifications.  When I need a job, I need a job,
not a bunch of hypocritical babble about how this job isn't "good enough"
for me!  I'll be the judge of that, thank you very much!  And, yes, if I
get a better offer I might leave.  So WHAT?  I THOUGHT I was applying for a
job, not proposing marriage or offering to swear lifetime fealty!