[LMB] Amazon Japan author page for Lois McMaster Bujold

M. Haller Yamada thefabmadamem at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 15 04:34:18 BST 2019

https://www.amazon.co.jp/l/B00455PX26?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1560516802&redirectedFromKindleDbs=true&ref=sr_ntt_srch_lnk_11&rfkd=1&shoppingPortalEnabled=true&sr=8-11
>>>Her name written in katakana (the Japanese phonetic script used for
words of foreign origin) is:
>>>????????????????

Are you asking how to pronounce it?  Or remarking on how they chose to
pronounce it?

It seems pretty straightforward to me, except for the choice of "Bi"
instead of "Bu" for the first syllable of the surname.  That did throw me,
a bit.  (If you're asking the pronunciation/transliteration, it's Lo-i-su
Ma-ku-ma-su-taa Bi-jyo-ru-do, which is about as close as Japanese can come.)

<3,    アイリ ー ン    (A-i-lii-n // Eileen)

Micki: The Internet is Weird Again. On the mailing list website, the katakana showed up, not question marks.
My first guess was that your web browser doesn't support Japanese, but since you just wrote your name in Japanese, that can't be it, LOL.
Why, internet? Why???