[LMB] Would I want to be a Sorcerer?

Karen Hunt huntkc at gmail.com
Sat Jun 15 12:45:24 BST 2019

On Fri, Jun 14, 2019 at 11:28 PM M. Haller Yamada <thefabmadamem at yahoo.com>
wrote:

> On ‎Saturday‎, ‎June‎ ‎15‎, ‎2019‎ ‎04‎:‎47‎:‎16‎ ‎AM‎ ‎JST, Kevin Kennedy
> <kevink45 at hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> Don't forget, divorce IS possible. It needs a Bastard's Saint to do it.
> That's Ista's new career, remember. And in Penric's time, there's the Saint
> of Idau, that Des was so terrified of. Learned Tigney was once a sorcerer,
> but was stripped of his demon, I forget why.
> Kevin
>
> --
> (-: I've got a memory like a sieve. I can't remember whose demon
> Ista transferred to a different rider.
>
> But in Tigney's case, the demon was sent back to its maker, and
> dissolved, which kind of touches on one of Bill's questions.
>
> To be honest, I'm not quite sure what the difference is between human
> and demon -- people also seem to lose their general identity upon death,
> IIRC, and become part of the greater whatever. But demons seem to
> really, really fear losing their individuality, and from PD, it sounds
> like
> Desdemona was terrified of being destroyed by the Bastard (especially
> via the Saint of Idau). Banishment of the demon equals death for the
> demon, I figured.
>
> (BTW, Tigney lost the demon because it ascended and went on a
> merry rampage for a year, iirc. They were captured, and the Saint
> of Idau sent the demon back to the master while Desdemona
> and Ruchia watched.)

 [header and footer snippage occurred]

Demons if yanked by the Bastard go to "Be not", which is apparently a place
of nothing but chaos.
Bad humans (eg Dondo dy Jironal) go there as well, apparently.

Most interesting in my mind is Learned Lewko of Hallowed Hunt.It seems how
he lost his demon is different from the usual taken-by-saint-to-Bastard
route, because of this passage:

“How does a man become a former sorcerer? Undamaged?” It was the task of
that Darthacan saint to destroy illicit sorcerers, who were reported to
fight like madmen against the amputation of their powers, but Learned Lewko
had surely not been such a renegade. “It is possible to lay down the gift.”
Lewko’s mouth hovered between faint amusement and faint regret. “If one
chooses to in time. ... It takes a miracle.”

Bujold, Lois McMaster. The Hallowed Hunt (Chalion Book 3) (Kindle Locations
2642-2645). HarperCollins. Kindle Edition.

I'm curious what the back-story is here, I admit.

Karen Hunt