[LMB] Penric reread

Marc Wilson marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk
Fri Jun 21 00:07:27 BST 2019

On Mon, 17 Jun 2019 00:23:38 +0000 (UTC), "M. Haller Yamada"
<thefabmadamem at yahoo.com> wrote:

>The octopus might have a brain that's large enough. The demon,
>in that "quiet" stage just after a transfer, will pick up everything the
>octopus already knows about manipulating its own limbs, etc.
>(Maybe that's why the demon has a "down-time" when moving
>from one rider to another?)
>
>The main problem I see is the octopus can only live outside of the
>ocean for a limited time. I'm assuming a Kraken would have the same
>limitations. I don't know how much the Five Gods involve themselves
>in underwater (or even animal-in-general) politics. They seem very
>human-centric, but maybe that's because we're human readers, and
>are only paying attention to those bits.

The other problem with octopodes is that they are short-lived.  If they
could live longer, they could well develop a significant culture
(they're already smart, tool-users, and have potential for
high-bandwidth communication).
--
All that is gold does not glitter;/Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither;/Deep roots are not reached by the frost.