[LMB] The souls of demons (was: Penric reread)

M. Haller Yamada thefabmadamem at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 21 01:06:05 BST 2019

    On ‎Friday‎, ‎June‎ ‎21‎, ‎2019‎ ‎08‎:‎25‎:‎34‎ ‎AM‎ ‎JST, Tony Zbaraschuk <tonyz at eskimo.com> wrote:

On Fri, June 14, 2019 8:29 am, WILLIAM A WENRICH wrote:
> How much is Desdemona different from other demons? Is it possible that
> she has a soul? (This is one I’d like to emend/rant on.)

This is an interesting one.  What, exactly, is a soul in the 5GU?  Do
demons have (or develop) souls of their own, or do they just chew off and
digest pieces of their host's souls?  There is the mythological case of
the B*stard's father, who seems to have acquired a soul by gift -- is
Penric in the process of giving Desdemona a soul by naming her and sharing
freely with her?

And when the B*stard pulls demons back into his own realm, does he just
melt everything down?  Are memories forgotten, or are they sieved off and
given to the souls that originally had them?  It seems a shame, somehow,
to destroy all experience and all memory of what was -- but who do those
memories and experiences belong to?

Desdemona can't be the only long-lived demon ever to have existed.  Do
such demons inevitably grow beyond control and become a threat to all
human souls?  Do some of them _learn_ to be souls of their own and return
to their god, becoming part of them in the way that humans might?  We
don't seem to see or hear very much of that -- but one gets the impression
that demons with as much life and history as Desdemona does are rare.

Thoughts?

Tony Z
Micki: I can't remember if the Bastard's father ever got a soul or not. He did learnto love, I think. Would like to hear more thoughts along those lines.
Also, compare normal people's souls in this universe. I believe they get melted downalso.