[LMB] OT: Romans

Marc Wilson marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk
Tue Sep 3 13:49:13 BST 2019

On Sat, 24 Aug 2019 17:33:18 -0600, Howard Brazee <howard at brazee.net>
wrote:

>Romans were excellent constructors but bad gadgeteers. Compared to the Chinese, the Romans were lousy engineers. Of all schools of engineering (civil, process, mechanical, chemical) the Romans mastered only the civil engineering. They were lousy metallurgists, lousy mechanical engineers, lousy production engineers, lousy chemical engineers and lousy gadgeteers

We keep finding new things they were better at than we knew.  Concrete
that can actually set underwater was such a thing - it was reinvented
relatively recently, but the Romans had it over 2100 years ago.
--
Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are
putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it.   - Mark Twain