[LMB] Literature in Real Life

Carol Botteron cjbotteron at gmail.com
Sun Sep 8 15:12:03 BST 2019

Have you used literary references (Bujold or other) in everyday life?

Once I was at work and heard my boss and her boss walking toward me,
griping about how work stress made them look older than they were.  Boss's
boss stopped at my desk and said, "Except you. I know how old you are, and
I don't know how you do it."  I replied, "You should see the painting I
keep in my attic."

That was one of the few times I have thought of the right comeback at the
right time.  In case anyone doesn't get it, look up "The Picture of Dorian
Gray" by Oscar Wilde.  Hurricane Dorian reminded me of the incident.