[LMB] Bags on Barrayar

Desiree Bua tondola at gmail.com
Wed Sep 11 15:29:32 BST 2019

I guess most of the books present higher class women (who normally have
things carried for them and no need for most of the things you listed in
your bag: keys? people open the door for them or drive them around for ex)
or are on spaceships, so need less things handy.
I also secretly wish for them to have ample pockets, but it would be
described when referring to the daily life (and its inconveniences) of
middle to lower class women
my 2 cents
Désirée

On Wed, Sep 11, 2019 at 4:23 PM Richard G. Molpus <rgmolpus at flash.net>
wrote:

> Ladies of Alys's status have invisible minions to carry such things,
> unless they want to show they've  just been at Sieglings or the like....
> They're  more likely to carry a parasol than a purse, tho a small pouch
> at the waistband for a lipstick or powder is acceptable.
> Sleeves conceal stunners, boots have Vorfemme daggers.
>
> Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android
>
>   On Wed, Sep 11, 2019 at 9:07 AM, Gwynne Powell<gwynnepowell at hotmail.com>
> wrote:   Just wondering about handbags.
>
> None of the women on Barrayar seem to carry a bag. Have they finally
> broken through the last glass ceiling and put pockets in their clothes that
> are actually useful? Is everything miniaturised and on a charm bracelet?
> Do the armsmen carry it all?
>
> Speaking as someone whose bag carries medication, notes, bits of makeup,
> assorted keys, occasional snacks, several pens, bandaids, tissues, money,
> credit cards, licence etc, photos, phone, and often a few odd items
> (including, today, a second set of number plates for my car) I just wonder
> where women on Barrayar put all their stuff?

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too
dark to read. Groucho Marx.
Le véritable voyage de découverte ne consiste pas à chercher de nouveaux
paysages, mais à avoir de nouveaux yeux. Marcel Proust
There is a thing that can push a man more than fear...it's destiny
Genius ain't anything more than elegant common sense - Josh Billings
The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire is your heart - Lois
McMaster Bujold
Carefully directed ignorance is the key to all knowledge - Terry Pratchett