[LMB] (OT?) Re: Gave blood today.

A. Marina Fournier saffronrose at me.com
Wed Sep 18 01:24:12 BST 2019

On Sep 17, 2019, at 6:26 AM, Karen A. Wyle <kawyle at att.net> wrote:

> I last tried to give blood in the fall of 2001. It turned out that while I have always, except when pregnant, had very small veins, they'd gotten smaller with age and were at that time the same size as the needles used for blood donation. So -- no dice.

I think the standard needle these days is 30 or 33 gauge—down from the 28ga that were the best available earlier this decade, but that still might be too big for your veins.

This past year, the vein they seek seems to have gone deeper. I breathe deeply and look away, only thing I can do.

With new phlebotomists or the like (my dermatologist was the latest, I think), I let them know that I give blood and have regular blood draws, and that any scarring is a result of that and  the bouquet of IVs from last September’s ‘fun’.

Marina