[LMB] OT: new book on how to raise book-loving kids

Fred Smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Sat Sep 21 02:51:26 BST 2019

On Fri, Sep 20, 2019 at 04:24:56PM -0400, Matthew George wrote:
> In my experience, you can get a lot of ground out of just holding books so
> that the kids can see the text and pictures.  For reasons I cannot
> understand, lots of people don't.

We started reading to our daughter (first-born) shortly after she
came home as a new baby. By the time she was big enough to sit up
and look at the pages as we read them she did, and we'd run the
finger along the words as we went.

Did the same with her little (now 37) brother. He had a little trouble
in kindergarten getting started (probably his then-un-diagnosted ADD),
until my sister-in-law sent him a stack of tinTin comics. right up his
alley, he devoured them and hasn't stopped reading yet.

His big sister is a huge reader, still, too.

We're in the process of getting rid of (I kid you not) a room-full
of books. gave most of the SF to our daughter who now has to find a
way to shelve them! (also gave her some of our library shelving, which
is really sturdy and won't sag no matter how many books you put on it.)
Note that I kept my hardcover Mirror Dance, as She Who Writes has
autographed it.

Fred
                    The Lord detests the way of the wicked