[LMB] Factory farms

Damien Sullivan phoenix at mindstalk.net
Sun Sep 22 14:48:21 BST 2019

On Tue, Sep 17, 2019 at 07:30:55PM -0400, Aruvqan wrote:

> Living room. Most people don't want to live in apartments if the space is
> available for spreading out into the post WW2 style detatched house with
> lawn, and lots of people like gardening food instead of just

Questionable.  Postwar detached housing was massively subsidized, both
in the housing and in the car access needed for it, while a rise in
urban crime rates scared people out of the city, as did school
integration.

Most people seem to have some positive response to walkable
neighborhoods, judging by both tourism targets and housing prices.

The tradeoff between "my own place and yard" and "walkable
neighborhood", well, it depends.  The US leaned heavily one way, thanks
to massive social engineering by our governments.  Germany leans another
way, where a majority of the population rents and is happy.  Japan, with
more "free market" land use policies than any US city, also leans the
other way.

-xx- Damien X-)