[LMB] Penric's Travels cover sneak peek

Joel Polowin jpolowin at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 22 21:53:14 BST 2019

Fred Smith <fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us> wrote:
> So, how long has Penric been growing that long blonde hair?
>
> I've left mine (neither blonde nor very long, yet) for the last two
> years and except for trimming split ends a few months ago it is only
> a few inches below my shoulders. (I normally wear it in a ponytail).
> How long does it need to grow to get long enough to braid like Pen's
> and still be down to his waist?

Long hair snags and snarls, so I could justify rapid hair growth as
being within Desdemona's "mandate".  Keeping it unsnarled would be
more uphill work.  But the long braid is also visible in the _Penric's
Progress_ cover, so "his entire life" would also be a valid answer to
the question.

Natural hair length emerges primarily from the equilibrium between hair
growth rate, and the time that a hair stays attached to its follicle
between the falling out of the old hair and the falling out of the new
one.  Both of these vary quite a bit between one individual and another,
and by area of the body, and through an individual's life.  Then there
are all of the external factors such as chemical or physical damage.

The absence of the mare and lioness from the newer cover got me
wondering: has Des's history with those animals ever come up in Penric's
adventures beyond an occasional mention as being part of her past?
Something about knowing how to stalk, say, or a better-than-usual
intuitive understanding of horses?

Joel