[LMB] Knife Children - Settling in

Katherine Collett kcollett at hamilton.edu
Mon Sep 23 16:18:30 BST 2019

On Sep 23, 2019, at 11:02 AM, Gwynne Powell <gwynnepowell at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Yina drops by to check on her patients and do some healing. She wants
> to know how the family is coping; Barr says that his mother is afraid he's
> ruined his chances of finding a wife. Yina says it'll more likely filter out the
> ones who aren't '....up to your weight...'  Hmmmm.
>
> Barr checks: she's not string-bound.  Another Hmmmm.....

I read Knife Children as soon as it came out, and then again just recently -- and at the second reading realized I'd completely forgotten about Yina.  And the fact that there was a (low-key, subtle) romance going on.  I guess I was so focussed on the Lily-Barr relationship and how Lily would fare that the romance didn't make an impression.  I quite like romance (currently listing to Heyer's False Colours on Audible), but it is possible that the genetic imperative of looking out for the children swamps everything else (at least for me as a mother and now a grandmother).

Katherine