[LMB] OT: new book on how to raise book-loving kids

Aruvqan aruvqan at gmail.com
Mon Sep 23 18:16:05 BST 2019

On 9/22/2019 11:25 AM, Howard Brazee wrote:

>> On Sep 22, 2019, at 8:49 AM, Sylvia McIvers <sylviamcivers at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Which would explain why I found the following under my teen* kid's pillow:
>> 1. A book about WWII geared people who seriously study the topic
>> 2. An atlas**
>> 3. The Berenstein Bears Birthday Party
>>
>> One of these things is not like the other ones!
>> Sylvia
> It is easy to randomly pick one and argue that it is the different one.

Well, I thought the atlas and the book on WW2 made sense, I find it
easier to read battle reports with a map so I can mentally get the 'lay
of the land' in a manner of speaking. I mean, it is all well and good to
know that Dad pulled explosives off the Leudendorff Bridge over the Ruhr
River, but to most anybody, ok, it is a river in Germany, yippee? Until
you see that the fight was proceeding along a river aimed into the heart
of the industrial region and they needed to get across the river to
succeed, and that pretty much was the only bridge left that they could
cross - then it becomes more clear why it was important =)

Though I love reading the Falco novels with a map so I can see where he
went in modern world terms compared with the Roman world =)

---