[LMB] Gendered English, WAS Penric's Travels cover sneak peek

Matthew George matt.msg at gmail.com
Tue Sep 24 21:07:30 BST 2019

On Mon, Sep 23, 2019 at 8:35 AM WILLIAM A WENRICH <wawenri at msn.com> wrote:

> Saying that gendering such as “ess” as in actress is a diminutive and
> hurtful is, I believe, seeing something that isn’t there.

I've never encountered anyone offended by the term.  I generally don't use
the feminine forms of such words because the distinction is generally
meaningless.  Why bother remembering that a female airplane or balloon
pilot is an aviatrix when being female is utterly irrelevant in that
context?  Why call Our Host an authoress?  I still use 'actress' because
sex is important to playing roles.  But I don't notice much when 'actor' is
used generally.  Proper names and pronouns have always been sufficient.

Matt G.