[LMB] OT: new book on how to raise book-loving kids

Damien Sullivan phoenix at mindstalk.net
Tue Sep 24 21:36:05 BST 2019

One thing I feel is missing in adult fiction is illustrated text. We
have full text. We have a growing acceptance of comics. And of course
there's video and animation (though the latter is still kind of for kids
or comedy in the USA). But "mostly text with occasional pictures" is
just for kids.

Rare exceptions include Gaiman's Stardust and Dream Hunters, and the
webcomic Erfworld which evolved to half regular comic pages, half text
page with a few pictures. And of course fantasy with maps.

But it could be so powerful for showing what the author has in mind,
rather than using lots of words for still vague or ambiguous imagery,
and for showing character reactions in entertaining ways. Conversely,
some webcomics could go a lot faster if they switched to text for long
conversations, rather than having to draw everything.