[LMB] OT: new book on how to raise book-loving kids

Pat Mathews mathews55 at msn.com
Thu Sep 26 01:44:54 BST 2019

Same here. I thought I was fooling my teachers by hiding my reading book under the dreadful, vapid Dick and Jane. Looking back, I think they were pleased to have me doing this, since I also kept track of who was being called on to read from Dick & Jane and was always ready.

In my daydreams I see and hear a bunch of kids pounding on their desks and chanting "We want real stories! We want real stories!" instead of sitting, passive and sullen, while the teacher plods through Dumbed-Down Reader Book 4. Though these days, the "school resource officer" would probably drag them off in handcuffs. "The world has gone mad today, and good's bad today...." (Thank you, Cole Porter.)