[LMB] OT: new book on how to raise book-loving kids

Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 28 15:36:39 BST 2019

From: Margaret Dean <margdean56 at gmail.com>

Heh -- I can relate. Reportedly my kindergarten teacher didn't know what to
do with me--"She's reading already! What should I do?"--and I can remember
vaguely from first grade sitting under a desk at snack time with a
similarly advanced six-year-old named Mark Hansen, reading Lightfoot the
Deer ... this while the rest of the class was struggling with "Alice and
Jerry."
I daresay that, like me, because it happened so young, you literally cannot
remember a time you could not read.

Gwynne: I started school early, because I was ready. Then they skipped me
a year because I could read, etc. THEN halfway through Primary they made
me repeat a year - because I was too young!  In the top three for everything
but I was too young!  So all my friends went on a year and I had to do the
same things all over again - they were boring and easy the first time - so they
used me to teach the others, listen to reading groups, etc. Imagine how much
I enjoyed that year, and how easy it was to bond with my new classmates.
Yeah, brilliant fun.