[LMB] Nature of the 5 gods

Beatrice Otter beatrice_otter at zoho.com
Sun Sep 29 23:07:59 BST 2019

---- On Sat, 28 Sep 2019 07:31:06 -0700 Howard Brazee <mailto:howard at brazee.net> wrote ----

In primitive religions, gods are shown with powers—but with human faults.   Priests offer ways of persuading gods to do their bidding.   It’s more important for a god to be terrible than good.

Beatrice Otter:

Oooooooooooh, "primitive" is a VERY loaded word.  Especially when describing religions.  There is a LOOOOOOOONG history of White people going in to Africa and Asia and South America, declaring everything that wasn't Christian to be "primitive superstition" and then forcibly converting people for their own good to "uplift" them.  There is SOOOOOOO much historical baggage about what gets called "primitive" and what doesn't, it's very heavily tied into racism and colonialism and a bunch of other stuff.

I don't want to derail the discussion or stop it before it starts, because I think the question you actually asked was an interesting one, but that is a really hot-button way of phrasing things.

Beatrice Otter