[LMB] OT: From quarantine to empty to safe

Karen Hunt huntkc at gmail.com
Fri Apr 3 19:42:58 BST 2020

On Fri, Apr 3, 2020 at 2:38 PM Sylvia McIvers <sylviamcivers at gmail.com>
wrote:

> This may be an odd question....  but the holidays are coming.
>
> If someone with corona went to the hospital and there house has been
> standing empty for a few days, it it safe to work in their kitchen?
>
> It's a creepy idea to just be breathing in a 'corona house' but after three
> days, surely the virus is dead.
> ===
> Why would anyone do this do this?
>
> My mother in law, passed away these many years, had all the "serving stuff"
> for the holidays - huge pots and pans, huge serving bowls and serving
> forks/spoons etc.  After her kids grew up and moved out, she also had
> plenty of counter-space to cook.
>
> Since she passed away, assorted children and grandchildren have used her
> kitchen and "borrowed" her stuff for the holidays when hosting the family.
> Father in law was very pleased to have people using her kitchen (yes it's
> still hers, not his, after all these years). Besides having company it
> meant a connection to her, because "the kids" are using her stuff.
>
> Now my father-in-law is in the hospital on a ventilator.
> No one has been in the house for a few days.
> There's a massive amount of cooking for the upcoming holidays.
>
> I wonder if it safe to breathe and touch stuff in his house.

Maybe? I'd definitely want to use gloves for getting the items, and I'd
wash them in soap before using them (even though he probably never touched
the kitchenware). I'd be mostly worried about doorknobs and random items
that might be touched on the way to getting the stuff.

I agree with other Karen about waiting some more days first, though.

Karen Hunt