[LMB] OT: From quarantine to empty to safe

anmar Caver anmar.mirza at gmail.com
Fri Apr 3 19:58:51 BST 2020

On Fri, Apr 3, 2020 at 2:37 PM Sylvia McIvers <sylviamcivers at gmail.com>
wrote:

> This may be an odd question....  but the holidays are coming.
>
> If someone with corona went to the hospital and there house has been
> standing empty for a few days, it it safe to work in their kitchen?

Yes. Sanitize surfaces before you touch them, wash your hands, and avoid
touching your facial mucosa  (eyes, nose, mouth) and you will be fine. The
air in the house is not a problem, and even most surfaces will be fine even
if you don't sanitize them. Yes, we've all heard that the encapsulated
virus can live for many days on some nonporous surfaces, but two things: it
has to make it from that surface to your mucosa, and in large enough
quantities to be infectious (how much that is varies from person to
person), and over time the quantity of virus declines rapidly, falling off
in the standard curve.

It really is touching your mucosal surfaces that is responsible for
virtually all of the transmission outside of the hospital settings.

I teach disease transmission prevention and work in risk management, it is
my job to know these things. Rather than listen to me, how about a doctor
who is treating the worst Covid-19 patients. Long but worth the listen.
Most of what you get out of it will be in the first 20 minutes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxyH1rkuLaw&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR11sw62FAy6cd2g0wi-WWYqw6SA_vmcqc8RvwwdVbdyJ1fiAkBOVq8uAvE

--
Anmar Mirza EMT, N9ISY, NCRC National Coordinator, RBNC President