[LMB] OT: mask thought

A. Marina Fournier saffronrose at me.com
Fri Apr 3 22:26:43 BST 2020

On Apr 3, 2020, at 1:14 PM, Lois Bujold <lbujold at myinfmail.com> wrote:

> ...I wonder if people could quick-sterilize their homemade or cloth masks by running them through the microwave.  Is there a suitable and sufficient sweet spot between nuking the microbes and scorching or setting the cloth on fire?
>
> I don't know the answer to this, but some microbiologist might.

I am neither a microbiologist, nor do I play one on TV.

However after observing grocery clerks bagging my entire adult life, I can competently bag my own groceries. Given that cashiers etc may no longer touch your reusable bags (at least in the SF Bay Area), it’s a darned good thing.

That being said, looking at other responses thus far, these are my suggestions:

Get the tapwater as hot as you can stand it. Wet the material to be sanitized, wring it out. Get whatever soap or detergent you like and apply it to the cloth. Be vigorously thorough.

In a metal or glass container, place the soaped material.

In the microwave, boil enough water to cover the material, then pour water over it.

Let it sit until cool enough to touch. Take the material out to rinse it, rubbing vigorously.

Hang it to dry, or use the dryer.

Or

Use the hottest setting on your laundry machine. Let it fill to cover, and add plain bleach to the tub. Run the cycle.

While dishwashers may run hotter, the rubbing factor is absent, and there may be Imponderables.

A. Marina Fournier
Valley of Heart’s Delight, CA
saffronrose at me.com
sent from iFionnghuala