[LMB] OT: Pandemic response

Brad DeLong brad.delong at gmail.com
Sat Apr 4 00:27:02 BST 2020

On Thu, Apr 2, 2020 at 18:48 WILLIAM A WENRICH <wawenri at msn.com> wrote:

> Except that the new rules seem to say, “Shelter in place.” and according
> to, at least some news readers, that means don’t go out at all and have
> everything delivered.

Which news readers? I have not seen any.

But, bluntly, if you are under 50 and want to take the risk it is not that
unwise for you to go out – provided you stay more than 6 feet from other
people and do not touch hard surfaces with unsanitized hands. It is
unlikely to kill you (but my wife’s 26-year-old research assistant is right
now in Kansas University medical center with a fever of 104 on a
ventilator).

Over 60, and especially with high blood sugar, high blood pressure, COPD,
etc., this thing has remarkably good odds of killing you.

And think not just about yourself but about the people you coming contact
with, because you start spewing virus before you get symptoms, if you do
get symptoms. Current estimates from Berkeley Public Health are that one in
four of those who catch it show no symptoms ever and yet you were virus.

Remember, one Biogen executive with a minor cough gave it to half of the
200 other executives at their day-long late-February meeting at the
Marriott Long Wharf Hotel in Boston. They were just breathing one another’s
air...

> --
Sincerely yours,

Brad DeLong

J. Bradford DeLong
Department of Economics, U.C. Berkeley
5th Floor, Evans Hall, Mining Circle #3880
Berkeley, CA 94720-3880
delong at econ.berkeley.edu <brad.delong at gmail.com>
925 708 0467
@delong