[LMB] OT: Moral question

Karen Hunt huntkc at gmail.com
Wed Apr 8 18:32:01 BST 2020

On Wed, Apr 8, 2020 at 1:28 PM Alex Kwan <litalex at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> > On 8 Apr 2020, at 23:45, Howard Brazee <howard at brazee.net> wrote:
> > Well, there are different proposed medicines.   Instead of using
> placebos, we can use alternative medicines and see which work best.
>
> But don’t the researchers need a control group?

Some studies are specifically for the purpose of comparing two standard
treatments.

For example, some recent ones compared statin drugs to artery stents.
Both are known treatments, so it's not really wrong to give one or the
other, and researchers want to know which treatment is better for what set
of circumstances (for what it's worth, statins have been winning over
stents for most situations).

Karen Hunt