[LMB] OT: Snarky question

Agnes Charrel-Berthillier agnes at charrel.net
Sat Apr 11 22:16:26 BST 2020

On 4/11/20 12:47, WILLIAM A WENRICH wrote:

> Somebody please explain to me how playing basketball by yourself with no one else around, playing T-ball in an otherwise empty park  with your children, attending a church service in your car with the windows up, or weeding your garden more than 10 meters from the street wearing mask and gloves can spread COVID-19. If it can, nothing will stop it.

Mostly because it is easier to enforce simple rules, because emergency
rules are less thought through/vetted than others, because letting the
person on the ground apply the rules as they see fit (vs as written) and
this has proven to create its own set of problems, and because setting a
clear line makes it easier not to have to argue with the next set of
people pushing the boundary in a different (and maybe less safe) way.

Simple example that led to the closure of tennis courts in my town: does
the PD wants to dedicate an officer to making sure that the groups of
people congregating to play there belonged to the same households
(especially when a simple visual check won't let you know whether that
group of teens are siblings/cousins (OK) or friends from school (not
OK)). Especially since with activities shut down the tennis staff is
staying home.

The church people, even if they were reasonable, suffer from the
behavior of other churches which were not so careful about safety. And
the fact that churches, which draw large group of people from wider
geographical areas, have been at the center of a lot of hot spots around
the world.

Somewhat on topic: "Rules aren’t actually made to be broken. They’re
generally invented because someone made a mistake or a mess, and folks
didn’t ever want to have to clean up after another one like it." Bujold,
Lois McMaster. Horizon (The Sharing Knife, Book 4) (The Wide Green World
Series) (p. 416). HarperCollins e-books. Kindle Edition.

> All of the above were cited as examples of police interventions in the past week. The church attendance resulted in $500 fines.
>
> A friend of Gayle's from college who lives in Asunción, Paraguay has to have her son buy her groceries. The police and military are patrolling the streets and there are armed guards at the markets.
Welcome to countries where people have less rights than in older, better
established democracies?
> Seen on Facebook: Why are they threatening to put me in jail for failure to social distance while they are letting prisoners out to protect them from COVID-19?

That's why those things will probably remain threats, with a side
helping of fines which people can contest in a court of law. In the
meantime hopefully nobody involved will die. Isn't it nice when
democracies work?

Agnes