[LMB] OT: COVID-19 restrictions and recovery

Joel Polowin jpolowin at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 14 05:11:23 BST 2020

Beatrice Otter <beatrice_otter at zoho.com> wrote:
> You can, however, build a still and make alcohol.  There are all kinds
> of handy tutorials and youtube videos.  And the thing about making
> a still is that some of what is produced is deadly, and if people
> are building a still for the first time  out of "I'M CRAVING ACLOHOL"
> instead of "oh, isn't this a neat hobby," the chances of their consuming
> the deadly bit without realizing it is MUCH greater.

If such instructions are followed with any care at all, the product
should be effective for sterilizing surfaces.  Ethanol needs to be at
least 70% concentration to do that job, and fairly crude distillation
should give you that.  But home-brew shouldn't be used to sanitize
skin, since it will dry the skin out, causing cracks to form, and
making the skin *more* vulnerable to infection.

Joel