[LMB] Surrogacy

WILLIAM A WENRICH wawenri at msn.com
Wed Apr 15 16:14:54 BST 2020

In the middle of the COVID-19 pandemic and in the middle of NY state budget, NY has passed and the governor has signed a law legalizing and legally enforcing surrogacy contracts.
This is dangerous. I see no problems using uterine replicators. I see a lot of potential for exploiting women without them. In Falling Free, there was not even an attempt to develop the quaddies before the UTs were practical. Without strong protections human uteruses could simply become a commodity and the phrase, “I bought you”, applied both to the surrogates and the children.
There is a long tradition that women bond to babies even in utero. That is certainly part of GJATRQ, part of the “tubing” in Weber, and part of all of the other SF stories I’ve read that contain UTs. I know that there was a bond between Gayle and my sons.
I have seen stories of people trying to develop UTs in RL. I hope the effort continues.

William A Wenrich