[LMB] First Bujold

Marc Wilson marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk
Fri Apr 17 02:19:17 BST 2020

On Thu, 16 Apr 2020 20:55:31 -0400, WalterStuartBushell
<proto at panix.com> wrote:

>> On Apr 16, 2020, at 10:54 AM, Marc Wilson <marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>> Men are born ignorant, not stupid; they are made stupid by education.
>>    - Bertrand Russell
>
>Not education but indoctrination leads to stupid.

I believe Russell's point to be that much of what is purported to be
education is in fact indoctrination.

...universities truly are storehouses of knowledge: students arrive from
school confident that they know very nearly everything, and they leave
years later certain that they know practically nothing.  Where did all
the knowledge go in the meantime?  Into the university, of course, where
it is carefully dried and stored. - Terry Pratchett, Ian Stewart and
Jack Cohen
--
#ifdef __LITERAL_BIBLICAL_FUNDAMENTALISM
#define PI 3.0                          /* 1 Kings 7:23 */