[LMB] OT: COVID-19 notes

Joel Polowin jpolowin at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 18 03:46:15 BST 2020

Tidsel <tidsel at protonmail.com> wrote:
> I am not sure I follow this..Protesters against lock-down?

Yes.  People going out and protesting, en masse, against distancing
restrictions.

Some are doing so on the basis of defending their freedom from such
restrictions.  Some are what are now being referred to as "distancing
deniers" -- that is, they deny the science regarding the effectiveness
of distancing, or the need for it based on, for example, the risks
posed by the disease.

If they were getting themselves infected via such stunts, then just
going off and not affecting anyone else as they got better or died,
I could (with regret) shrug and say it was their right.  "DAR for
the WIN!", so to speak, to invoke a trace of on-topicness.  But that
isn't how it works, of course; they're going on to spread the disease
to other people who are doing their best to avoid infection with the
imperfect means available, and adding to the load in the hospitals.

Joel