[LMB] Talking to Demons

Karen Hunt huntkc at gmail.com
Sat Apr 18 12:52:49 BST 2020

On Fri, Apr 17, 2020 at 11:34 PM Beatrice Otter via Lois-Bujold <

> ---- On Fri, 17 Apr 2020 19:55:46 -0700 B Van Look <vanlook19 at gmail.com>
> wrote ----
>
> Caz calls it a death demon. But is it really a creature like an actual
> demon? Or is it just an intent of the Bastard, rather than a (however
> simplistic/chaotic) actual being/energy form?
> I'm wondering if Caz calls it a death demon when it really isn't an
> elemental as we understand them from Ista and Penric's experiences, because
> that's what fits inside his human view of the universe....
>
> BJ
>

> Caz is pretty sure that the death demon is imprisoned in his tumor with
> Dondo, and Umegat's words that the death demon needs two souls to carry
> back is confirmed by the fact that when Caz is killed the demon takes off
> with Dondo *and his brother*, Caz himself being protected by the Lady.
> This implies to me that while whatever it is is taking the Bastard's
> orders, it is something separate in some way.

I've lately taken the idea that a death demon is a sort of piece of the
Bastard; not so much under orders as some purified concept of the order.
Nobody ever gets a close look at one to be sure (the people with the best
views die right away), but Umegat described Caz's tumor as containing the
presence of the Bastard, not ordinary sainthood.

Karen Hunt