[LMB] OT: Who else likes skirts

Sylvia McIvers sylviamcivers at gmail.com
Mon Apr 20 16:39:22 BST 2020

On Sun, Apr 19, 2020 at 11:04 PM <alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca> wrote:

> I personally like knee-length A-line skirts with decent-sized inset
> pockets -- comfortable and flattering. I've managed to accumulate a bunch
> of these over the years.
>
> Oh, yes yes yes.  I love these A-line skirts with very little spare fabric
at the hip, and a wider hemline that makes the hips look narrower in
contrast. + Pockets.
Sadly, all of mine wore out and I can't find replacements.

> I also agree with Beatrice on sewing: it's much more difficult than you'd
> think if you get into anything complicated, particularly altering
> patterns. Remember that you have to think in 3D.

It's not just thinking in 3D.
I have a (store-bought) skirt with pockets. When I put something really
exotic in the pocket, ie a cell phone, it literally pulls that side of the
skirt down. I nearly had a wardrobe malfunction in a public place. Went
home and put an extra seam in the waist band to reinforce the "don't fall
down" ration.

If I'm adding a pocket to the skirt that wasn't designed for it, I'd be
very concerned about putting anything into the pocket that is heavier than
a pen or credit card. Like, say, a phone.  Which is the main reason I want
a pocket in the first place.

Sylvia