[LMB] OT: shock of the real, spam, the BBC

Sylvia McIvers sylviamcivers at gmail.com
Tue Apr 21 02:19:31 BST 2020

> It's sad, in these days of lock-down, that
> > so much of our public educational system reveals itself
> > to be a full tech-generation behind; and in general seemingly can't
> > do engaging virtual, interactive, lessons. Or maybe it all
> > depends on having involved parents.

So, college & adult-ed teacher here.

Let's talk zoom sessions.
Three of my students have internet in school. School closed? No internet at
home. They attend zoom sessions via phone. I hate it. Their participation
is severely restricted.

One of my  students has a laptop with internet but no web-camera.
One of my students has a laptop with internet and a phone cam, but attends
my class with her phone (and can't do the work) because her kid is using
the laptop for on-line class.
One of my students is a children's teacher, and gives me a few tips on
managing the zoom meeting.

Most people taking adult-ed had some kind of difficulty in school, some are
Learning Disabled, some are lower-middle class, or straight-out poor.

>  so much of our public educational system reveals itself
> to be a full tech-generation behind;

Really?  How about, some of our poorer districts reveals itself to be
behind.

Does anyone have data break-down for places where on-line school is working
or not?

Sylvia
who is procrastinating marking papers RIGHT THIS VERY MINUTE argh run-on
sentences I hate them.