[LMB] OT: COVID-19 news

Marc Wilson marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk
Wed Apr 22 19:39:42 BST 2020

On Sun, 19 Apr 2020 21:22:34 +0000, John Lennard
<john.c.lennard at gmail.com> wrote:

>5. There is emergent but already potent evidence (UK, US) that there is a
>BAME factor (Black, Asian, Minority Ethnic). The aetiology and genetics (if
>any) remain wholly uncertain, but it seems increasingly probable that some
>mix of putative genetic and/or cultural factors are playing in to elevate
>BAME CFRs in more than one place. (In the US this data has been mostly
>about civilian victims, that I've seen ; in the UK about the percentage of
>front-line BAME medical staff who have died, ditto.)

At least part of this may well come down simply to socio-economic
factors; more crowded housing and (especially in the Asian community) a
far higher prevalence of multi-generational living.

At least in this current crisis, the "nuclear family" is a winner.
--
If literary writing makes a virtue out of not knowing what it means, we should be
grateful that the same isn't true of toxicology or aeronautical engineering.  - Terry Eagleton