[LMB] OT: shock of the real, spam, the BBC

A. Marina Fournier saffronrose at me.com
Thu Apr 23 03:32:53 BST 2020

On Apr 20, 2020, at 10:38 AM, Pouncer via Lois-Bujold <lois-bujold at lists.herald.co.uk> wrote:

> It's sad, in these days of lock-down, that
> so much of our public educational system reveals itself
> to be a full tech-generation behind; and in general seemingly can't
> do engaging virtual, interactive, lessons. Or maybe it all
> depends on having involved parents.

Try what $$$$$ doesn’t make it to schools and poorer families.

Parents can’t teach what they don’t know or didn’t learn well enough. Some kids in grade school have *parents who never got to school*. Many parents trying to home-school, working from home or not, are realizing just how much work teachers do, and how undervalued and underpaid they are.

Involved parents as you seek implies health, ability, and financial resources.  Even in San Jose, without the pandemic, these cannot be taken for granted, much less expected.

Right now, said parents had better not be in healthcare or other essential and overloaded/overworked employment. Many healthcare and first responders are not able to touch their family or housemates, due to self-sequestering, and many can’t be in the same room as the rest of the household. I’d be in 72 hour lockup repeatedly under those conditions!

There are many Native Americans on reservations without Internet connectivity (no electricity or phone service for it), some with no sewers or running water. Doesn’t pay to install the infrastructure. Cell service is a bit better, but in vast tracts of land, such as Dinétah and some areas of Alaska, good luck with that.

> In cities where the public schools close for
> lessons but continue to serve cafeteria
> meals the idea seems to be that client parents
> are incapable of plating a sandwich; much less
> teaching.

In areas, cities, towns, or not, meals are served at schools: it may be the only real food they’ll have, such as in poorer families where there may be five low-paying jobs for two adults. Yes, kids get fed first, but . . . . One hopes there are grandparents to help at home.

Many families in California live in food deserts, and way too many families and individuals (think college students) deal with ”food uncertainty” daily. Lack of ability to get to food banks, in addition to poverty or illness, also contributes.

Both these issues have been on my radar for at least twenty years.

A. Marina Fournier
Valley of Heart’s Delight, CA
saffronrose at me.com
sent from iFionnghuala