[LMB] OT: another question about a story

Fred Smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Fri Apr 24 01:07:18 BST 2020

On Thu, Apr 23, 2020 at 10:37:20PM +0100, Marc Wilson wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Apr 2020 08:59:26 -0400 (GMT-04:00),
> <adkinslawfirm at mindspring.com> wrote:
>
> >Elizabeth is looking for a short story, about which she gives very specific details.
> >
> >The story is "Mating Call" by Frank Herbert.  I first came across it in _13 Above The Night_, a superlative anthology edited by Groff Conklin.  Every story is excellent; if you can get it, I recommend it very highly. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/13_Above_the_Night_(anthology)
> >
> >In the meantime, the story itself is online, here:  https://galacticjourney.org/stories/6110Galaxyf.pdf  Warning:  it's micro-pages of the actual magazine.  I had to copy and paste to enlarge the print, but it's definitely that story.
>
> I've downloaded and set Calibre to see what it can make of it.  If I can
> create a usable Epub or Mobi version, I'll report back.

Unfortunately, PDF files are not very good for use as a source for format conversion.
This is discussed (somewhere) in the Calibre documentation.

You can do it, but PDFs don't contain all the detailed information about the
document that is necessary for, e.g., an epub.

Fred
                    The Lord detests the way of the wicked