[LMB] OT: Anne with an "E"

Eric Oppen ravenclaweric at gmail.com
Sun Apr 26 18:35:35 BST 2020

My father remembered playing basketball against the team from the Pipestone
Indian School; he said they were pretty good players.

My own take on those schools is that there were no good choices.  The
tribes' traditional lifestyles were over---they couldn't live like that any
more.  The government wanted the natives to become part of the bigger
culture, and that meant (among other things) learning English (or French,
in some parts of Canada) and obtaining skills that were not obtainable in a
traditional setting.

Like it or not, the optimal time to pick up a foreign language is when
you're young.  My father wished that his family had spoken Norwegian (all
his older relatives were fluent) at home, so he could have picked it up
himself.

And sometimes the acculturation to the wider culture worked.  I don't know
if Charles Curtis went to one of those schools, but he did well enough---in
Congress for many years, VPOTUS to Herbert Hoover (and if it hadn't been
for the Depression, he might have ended up as our first Native POTUS)
despite having been born into a Native tribe and having Kaw be his birth
tongue.