[LMB] OT: Anne with an "E"

B Van Look vanlook19 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 27 03:03:49 BST 2020

On Sun, Apr 26, 2020 at 6:26 PM Eric Oppen <ravenclaweric at gmail.com> wrote:
> accept natives as equals.  You can't magically make the white population go
> away, and even if you did prevent Columbus from making his discovery,
> someone was going to stumble across the Americas sooner or later.

Ah, the "so YOU do better" game of alternate history!
That's such a great game for avoiding looking at our cultural
inheritance and psychologically passing the buck! What fun!

How about instead of "You Be the Dictator in 1890s America" we try
playing the "Damn We Screwed Up and Made An Abusive System, How Can We
Dismantle It Starting WIth Our Own Obsession With Upholding It" game,
instead?

We can start by letting go of the idea that modern American
definitions of success are somehow good.
Instead, we can acknowledge they're poisonous, set up by rich,
(mostly) white males who thought
a) their definitions were the only ones that matter
b) in the only system that matters
c) supported by/serving the interests of the only people who matter

Don't like that?
How about playing You Be the Dictator Now?
What would we do to alleviate the problems and create true liberty and
justice for the non-white/Western/Christian cultures in North America?
Instead of continuing to insist that they're better served by showing
throat to the dominant one, regardless of its poison...

BJ