[LMB] OT: Anne with an "E"

Pat Mathews mathews55 at msn.com
Mon Apr 27 11:46:23 BST 2020

Yes. Linguistics professor Suzette Haden Elgin, of long-past memory, suggested that instead of schoolteachers stuffing "The way you speak of wrong, Wrong, WRONG!" down the throats of her Ozark-born students, they teach "Standard English as a second language" and explain why it's good to know both dialects.

Which New Mexico does for Spanish-speakers from the back hills of New Mexico, whose ancestors have lived there for 400 years. "Spanish for heritage speakers." I haven't heard of anybody in that state complaining about it.